Stanford Prevention Research Center’s world-renowned faculty and researchers are dedicated to conducting new and innovative research in, but are not limited to, chronic disease prevention, global health, delivery of preventive services, health promotion, behavior change, intervention research, physical activity, energy balance, obesity, aging, women's health, tobacco control, workplace health, community medicine, correction of health inequalities, genomics and personalized health, evidence-based medicine, research synthesis, empirical evaluation of biases in biomedical research, sociology of science, and translational research with population impact.
The Publications section is dedicated to listing SPRC’s faculty and researchers published articles.
Christopher Gardner, PhD
Catherine Heaney, PhD, MPH
Ann Hsing, PhD, MPH
John P.A. Ioannidis, MD, DSc
Abby C. King, PhD
David Maron, MD
Judith (Jodi) Prochaska, PhD, MPH
Randall S. Stafford, MD, PhD
Marcia Stefanic, PhD
Emerita Marilyn Winkleby, PhD
Michaela Kiernan, PhD
Lisa Henriksen, PhD
Michael Baiocchi, PhD
1. Baiocchi, M., Omondi, B., Langat, N., Boothroyd, D.B., Sinclair, J., Pavia, L., Mulinge, M., Githua, O., Golden, N.H. and Sarnquist, C. (2016). A behavior-based intervention that prevents sexual assault: The results of a matched-pairs, cluster-randomized study in Nairobi, Kenya. Prevention Science, pp.1-10.
2. Sarnquist, C., Sinclair, J., Omondi Mboya, B., Langat, N., Paiva, L., Halpern-Felsher, B., Golden, N.H., Maldonado, Y.A. and Baiocchi, M.T. (2017). Evidence that classroom-based behavioral interventions reduce pregnancy-related school dropout among Nairobi adolescents. Health Education & Behavior, 44(2), pp.297-303.
3. Sarnquist CC, Ouma L, Lang’at N, Lubanga C, Sinclair J, Baiocchi MT, Cornfield DN. The effect of combining business training, microfinance, and support group participation on economic status and intimate partner violence in an unplanned settlement of Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of interpersonal violence. 2018 Jun 1:0886260518779067.
4. M. Baiocchi, R. Friedberg, E. Rosenman, M. Amuyunzu-Nyamongo, G. Oguda, D. Otieno, C. Sarnquist. Prevalence and risk factors for sexual assault among class 6 students in unplanned settlements of Nairobi, Kenya: Baseline analysis from the IMPower & Sources of Strength cluster randomized controlled trial. PLOS One (forthcoming)
5. E. Rosenman, C. Sarnquist, R. Friedberg, M. Amuyunzu-Nyamongo, G. Oguda, D. Otieno, M. Baiocchi. Empirical Insights for Improving Sexual Assault Prevention: Early Evidence from a Cluster-Randomized Trial of IMPower and Sources of Strength. Violence Against Women (forthcoming)
6. Cullen, M. R., Baiocchi, M., Eggleston, K., Loftus, P., & Fuchs, V. (2016). The weaker sex? Vulnerable men and women’s resilience to socio-economic disadvantage. SSM-Population Health, 2, 512-524.
7. "Sex-Specific Association Between Gut Microbiome and Fat Distribution" by Yan Min, Xiaoguang Ma, Kris Sankaran, Yuan Ru, Lijin Chen, Mike Baiocchi, and Shankuan Zhu. Nature Communications. [Paper #NCOMMS-18-28891C] [forthcoming]
8. A protocol for a cluster-randomized controlled trial testing an empowerment intervention to prevent sexual assault in upper primary school adolescents in the informal settlements of Nairobi, Kenya Clea C Sarnquist, DrPH MPH; Jennifer L Kang, MPH; Mary Amuyunzu-Nyamongo, PhD; Gabriel Oguda, MPhil; Dorothy Otieno; Benjamin Mboya, MS; Nancy Omondi; Duncan Kipkirui; Michael Baiocchi, PhD BMC Public Health [forthcoming]
9. Goldstone, A., Chiu, P., Baiocchi, M., Lingala, B., Patrick, B., Fischbein, M., Woo, J., (2017). Comparative Effectiveness of Mechanical versus Biological Prostheses for Aortic Valve and Mitral Valve Replacement in California. New England Journal of Medicine. (in press)
10. Goldstone AB, Chiu P, Baiocchi M, Wang H, Lingala B, Boyd JH, Woo YJ. Second arterial versus venous conduits for multivessel coronary artery bypass surgery in California. Circulation. 2018 Apr 17;137(16):1698-707.
11. Chiu P, Sailer A-M, Baiocchi M, Goldstone AB, Schaffer JM, Trojan J, Fleischmann D, Miller DC, Mitchell RS, Dake MD, Woo YJ, Lee JT, Fischbein MP. Discordant Surgeon Views in the Management of Descending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2017. (in press)
12. Andrew B. Goldstone, MD, PhD,1 Michael Baiocchi, PhD,2 David Wypij, PhD,3 Christian Stopp, MS,3 Dean B. Andropoulos, MD,4 Joseph Atallah, MD,5 Andrew M. Atz, MD,6 John Beca, MD,7 Mary T. Donofrio, MD,8 Kim Duncan, MD,9 Nancy S. Ghanayem, MD,10 Caren S. Goldberg, MD,11 Hedwig Hövels-Gürich, MD,12 Fukiko Ichida, MD,13 Jeffrey P. Jacobs, MD,14 Robert Justo, MD,15 Beatrice Latal, MD,16 Jennifer S. Li, MD,17 William T. Mahle, MD,18 Patrick S. McQuillen, MD,19 Shaji C. Menon, MD,20 Nancy A. Pike, RN, PhD,21 Christian Pizarro, MD,22 Lara S. Shekerdemian, MD,23 Anne Synnes, MDCM,24 Ismée A. Williams, MD, MS,25 David C. Bellinger, PhD, MS,3 Jane Newburger, MD, MPH,3 and J. William Gaynor, MD1. The Bayley-III Scale May Underestimate Neurodevelopmental Disability After Cardiac Surgery in Infants. [forthcoming]
13. Andrew B. Goldstone, MD, PhD, Peter Chiu, MD, Michael Baiocchi, PhD, Bharathi Lingala, PhD, Justin Lee, MPH,4 Joseph Rigdon, PhD,4 Michael P. Fischbein, MD, PhD,1 Y. Joseph Woo, MD1Interfacility Transfer of Medicare Beneficiaries with Acute Type A Aortic Dissection and Regionalization of Care in the United States. Circulation [forthcoming]
14. Baiocchi, M., Small, D. S., Lorch, S., & Rosenbaum, P. R. (2010). Building a stronger instrument in an observational study of perinatal care for premature infants. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 105(492), 1285-1296. Chicago
15. Baiocchi, M., Small, D. S., Yang, L., Polsky, D., & Groeneveld, P. W. (2012). Near/far matching: a study design approach to instrumental variables. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology, 12(4), 237-253.
16. Baiocchi, M., Cheng, J., & Small, D. S. (2014). Instrumental variable methods for causal inference. Statistics in medicine, 33(13), 2297-2340.
17. Rigdon J, Baiocchi M, Basu S. Preventing false discovery of heterogeneous treatment effect subgroups in randomized trials. Trials. 2018 Dec;19(1):382.
18. Rigdon J, Baiocchi M, Basu S. Near-far Matching in R: The nearfar Package. Journal of Statistical Software [in press]. 2017.
19. Sun, D. L., Harris, N., Walther, G., & Baiocchi, M. (2015). Peer Assessment Enhances Student Learning: The Results of a Matched Randomized Crossover Experiment in a College Statistics Class. PloS one, 10(12), e0143177.
20. Sanquini, A. M., Thapaliya, S. M., Wood, M. M., Baiocchi, M., & Hilley, G. E. (2016). Encouraging Earthquake-Resistant Construction: A Randomized Controlled Trial in Nepal. Earthquake Spectra, 32(4), 1975-1988.
21. Lorch, S. A., Baiocchi, M., Silber, J. H., Even‐Shoshan, O., Escobar, G. J., & Small, D. S. (2010). The role of outpatient facilities in explaining variations in risk‐adjusted readmission rates between hospitals. Health services research, 45(1), 24-41.
22. Lorch, S. A., Baiocchi, M., Ahlberg, C. E., & Small, D. S. (2012). The differential impact of delivery hospital on the outcomes of premature infants. Pediatrics, peds-2011.
23. Prochaska, J.J., Michalek, A.K., Brown-Johnson, C., Daza, E.J., Baiocchi, M., Anzai, N., Rogers, A., Grigg, M. and Chieng, A. (2016). Likelihood of unemployed smokers vs nonsmokers attaining reemployment in a one-year observational study. JAMA internal medicine, 176(5), pp.662-670.
24. Oppezzo, M. A., Michalek, A. K., Delucchi, K., Baiocchi, M., Barnett, P. G., & Prochaska, J. J. (2016). Health-related quality of life among veterans in addictions treatment: identifying behavioral targets for future intervention. Quality of Life Research, 25(8), 1949-1957.
25. Deshpande, S.K., Hasegawa, R.B., Rabinowitz, A.R., Whyte, J., Roan, C.L., Tabatabaei, A., Baiocchi, M., Karlawish, J.H., Master, C.L. and Small, D.S., 2017. Association of playing high school football with cognition and mental health later in life. JAMA neurology, 74(8), pp.909-918.
26. McKelvey, K., Baiocchi, M., Halpern-Felsher, B. Juul-Style Pod-based Electronic Cigarettes: Adolescents’ and Young Adults’ Use and Perceptions. JAMA Open Network. In Press.
27. McKelvey, K., Baiocchi, M., McLaughlin, S., Ramamurthi, D., Halpern-Felsher, B. Youth say ads for flavored e-liquids are for them. Addictive Behaviors. In Press
28. Wang JK, Hom J, Balasubramanian S, Schuler A, Shah NH, Goldstein MK, Baiocchi MT, Chen JH. An Evaluation of Clinical Order Patterns Machine-Learned from Clinician Cohorts Stratified by Patient Mortality Outcomes. Journal of biomedical informatics. 2018 Sep 7.
29. McKelvey K, Baiocchi M, Ramamurthi D, McLaughlin S, Halpern-Felsher B. Youth say ads for flavored e-liquids are for them. Addictive Behaviors. 2018 Aug 29.
30. McKelvey K, Baiocchi M, Lazaro A, Ramamurthi D, Halpern-Felsher B. A cigarette pack by any other color: Youth perceptions mostly align with tobacco industry-ascribed meanings. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2019 Feb 8:100830.
31. Epperson AE, Lambin EF, Henriksen L, Baiocchi M, Flora JA, Prochaska JJ. Natural American Spirit's pro-environment packaging and perceptions of reduced-harm cigarettes. Preventive medicine. 2019 Jul 17:105782.